Wish you all a very happy new year. Hope you all are relaxing and enjoying these festive holidays. With this holiday season and first day of a brand new year 2014, here is a new blog post with a chocolate cake roll recipe. We haven’t thought of making any New Year resolutions so far, we will take things as it comes to us. We have been visiting Winter Wonderland here on many days during this period and it had been mostly fun days out with walking, strolling leisurely in high streets all decked up with Christmas decorations and most importantly eating warm cooked waffles , crepes and Chinese noodles in Winter wonderland.
And then after ages, I can’t even recall when was the last time we had a chance to watch circus in India, but then we were kid at that time. We watched an hour long circus show and we, especially dear daughter liked and cheered every performance by artists, jugglers and some of the breath-taking stunts by performers.
As the day was finishing up, we had hot chips with curry sauce, listening to one of the live band performances there. Although we know that it’s not that healthy with that much of carbohydrates but then we were hungry and out in cold and then top it all, were walking most of the time in central London and not to mention, particularly in Winter Wonderland. And it does feel so festive in Oxford streets and in all the high streets here, with colorful lights and various decorations and the entire shopping extravaganza this holiday season they are offering. Now, who doesn’t like Boxing Day in UK or the Black Fridays in US. Right?
Now after all that little update on personal front, here is a chocolate cake roll recipe or chocolate roulade recipe for this festive holiday season.
In picture below - Christmas fruit cake and Swiss roll.For the recipe of Christmas fruit cake - here is the archived post.I have made the same recipe in bundt cake tin and the only difference was that I made the caramel sauce first and then made the Christmas fruit cake, otherwise all remained same.
Chocolate Roulade /Chocolate Swiss Cake roll
75 g / 3 oz of self raising flour or 2/3 cup of self raising flour approx
25 g / 1 oz of cocoa powder 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
2 free range egg large
75 g /3 oz of spreadable butter or 1/3 cup of softened butter roughly
57 g /2 oz of caster sugar or 1/3 cup of sugar roughly
Pinch of soda
1 tbs of yogurt or milk just to mix
- Preheat oven at 200 deg C.Whisk egg one by one very well until they are frothing and fluffed up.
- Now mix in self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Cream together sugar and spreadable butter. Add in whisked eggs and mix the wet ingredients well.
- Now gently start folding dry ingredients- the flour mixture and wet ingredients – butter+sugar+egg together.
- Line up Swiss roll tray with baking paper. I have made two small cake rolls and for that I used two baking tray of about roughly 11 inch long and 8 inch wide tray. So, if you are using 13 inch long baking tray then it will yield one cake roll. I guess it depends on personal choice the length of cake roll, we like small ones for a small family.
- Now gently drop the cake batter and evenly spread out into two baking tray.
- Carefully put the baking tray in a preheated oven at 200 deg C for about 7- 8 mints or till the cake batter is cooked. Do not over bake them as it will result in dry sponge rolls.
- Now make the butter cream.
- Use about 5 oz or 140 ml of double cream, 4 tbs of mascarpone cheese and 3-4 heaped tbs of icing sugar and start whisking well until they it turns out thick.
- Take out the roll cake and gently flip it over a damp cotton cloth which has been lined with greaseproof paper. Take out the baking paper or grease proof paper from the back of the roll or what ever you are using gently.And roll it up and let it set and cool off covered with that damp kitchen towel or cotton cloth.
- It would be nice if you can dust it off the grease- proof paper with some cocoa powder.
- After about 2-3 hrs, gently unroll the sponge roll, and layer it with the cream leaving behind about 1 inch of space from each sides. Now start rolling again untill the end is met up and cover it with a cling film. Let it set in fridge for about 2 -3 hrs.
- You can even layer any flavor of ice-creams as well. For that you have to take out ice-cream from the fridge at least 1-2 hrs so that it is soft and fluffy and easy to handle.
- Now after the cake roll is set, slice it off of about ½ inch thick slices. Serve and enjoy with seasonal fruits or ice-cream of your choice.
Ok, today on new years day we made this Black Forest Cake also.But to be honest this was just part of the whole menu - and the menu was balanced with Palang shak'er bori ghonto, Salmon panpor'er jhal , masoor dal ,payesh and chatni.
Happy New Year Friends and Happy Cooking