-->

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Introduction

Namaskar and welcome !!
Its being so nice here to do something you feel passionate about that is cooking . And here I am now with my humble attempts to record my everyday cooking and daily recipes.I like cooking and seeing loved ones enjoy their meals is pleasure also .. and cooking is an art,being an Indian it comes as but natural.. ..I am not a fancy cook ,nor I have taken any classes, its just what I have learned from my Mother an after my  marriage from my Mother-in -Law. I am an everyday cook with simple and easy recipes , but some time I also add variations and love to try out new things ....for me I have loved doing a new type of cooking Fusion Cooking .

So ,you might be thinking what exactly is a Fusion cooking , its in my words east meet west , its incorporating two different culture into one to achieve peak of taste..its fusion of spices ,and the result is some great tasting meals ...I have used many times Italian seasoning in Indian curry,or sometime a Tex-Mex seasoning with a normal cauliflower/potato sabzi ..or using fresh herbs like Rosemary in chicken curry ,fried rice etc...
Today,I think I am going to start with Chicken and Mushroom Curry .I have tried making it with a new twist ...
I made it for lunch last Wednesday, I have used chicken drumsticks and thighs for this recipe ,but other chicken cut pieces can also be used , some fresh button mushrooms ,half a packet will be sufficient.Ok let me just write it without adding much intro ....

Spicy Chicken /mushroom curry

Ingredients

4 chicken drumsticks
1 large onion cut into pieces
4 cloves garlic cut into pieces
1 inch fresh ginger cut into thin pieces
1 tbs turmeric powder
1 tbs Indian red pepper powder
1 tbs salt or as desired
1 tbs corriander powder
½ tbs canola oil
½ tbs Italian seasoning
1-2 tbs of water
½ tbs cumin seeds
½ tbs mustard seeds
3-4 tbs fresh cut cilantro leaves
1 large potato cut into half.
½ tbs sugar
1 tbs black pepper powder .
2 tbs canola oil
1 cup of water /chicken broth
2 heaped tbs of sour cream
½ cup cut mushrooms
Method
Marinade the chicken , add ½ turmeric powder, ½ red pepper powder, ½ corriander powder , ½ black pepper powder,salt , ½ tbs Italian seasoning , ½ tbs oil and 2 tbs of water ,mix well in a bowl , marinade the chicken for 1-2 hr in refrigerator .
Now heat oil in a saucepan , add cumin/mustard seeds ,let it pop up properly.
Add onions ,garlic , ginger , saute for 3-4 mints till it turns translusent .
Add rest of the dry ingredients ,then potatoes, fry it at med –low for 5-7 mints,
Add chicken drumsticks and fry for another 5 mints at med-low., add cilantro leaves.
Now add water and cover , let it simmer for another 30 mints .
At this point add mushrooms and let it simmer another 15 –20 mints.or till drumsticks are done.
At the end add sour cream and stir it well .
Serve with warm cooked basmati rice.

This is a sort of fusion cooking , I love the aroma of Italian seasoning so I always add that to my curries. I served it with with plain cooked rice,Fiki lassi (yogurt drink ) and some salads , tomatoes/onions/cucumbers cut into slices and added some lemon juice also .It tasted great and spicy with a mild hotness ,
Talking about lassi ,there are so many ways a lassi can be made mango lassi , sweet lassi our own Bengali favorite Mishti Doui ,and what not .. I just thought let me also write it about fiki lassi ,I know you all are familiar with it but there are some who will find it interesting ,a typical lassi made in Uttar Pradesh (where I have spent my wonderful growing years) ,in summer days people love to drink it , to cool off ......

Fiki Lassi (Yogurt Drink)
1 cup of plain yogurt
1 cup of water
1/2 tbs of salt
1/4 tbs of black pepper
1/4 inch of fresh ginger cut into small pieces
1-2 tbs of corriander leaves /cilantro leaves
1-2 icecubes
blend all in a blender and serve chilled ...
Its just plain home cooking for me , my first record of recipe ,I dont know if I will be able to appeal to you , but its anything you wish to ask me or write, about recipes here , you are always welcome here ...... ...

and talking about season , here in this part of US , there is some changes in color of leaves, a tinge of red ,yellow coming to them.If you feel ,just take out some time to be with nature this fall season.....I will be back again with some new recipes ,till then Bon Apetite...

I take the day as it comes , hope you too...Happy Cooking Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking out some time from your busy schedule to post here.Please Do not spam this space.