Again a week goes past and thank God that it’s Friday and its weekend time now.As weekend means little relaxed time, so thought of writing a baked chicken wings recipe which you can try it out if you like to. I have posted a Buffalo Chicken Recipe in the past.This recipe of baked spicy chicken wings is slightly different as the marinade is the key here which is truly Indian is that sense.
These days if you go to any supermarkets in abroad, and if you tend to have a look at the International ingredients aisle, you can pick any spice powders like things from aamchur powder (dried mango powder) to hing and what not. As life here is busy and we have no helping hands that can run our daily errands here, I seem to like these ready-made spice powder packets. There always some, “if and but” remains and that is -nothing can replace the taste of freshly grounded spices in recipes. Home-cooks around the world I guess you all know how important this factor is.
Whatever suits you, ready-made spice packets or freshly grounded spices, one thing I would say don’t forget to add your love for that food. Any food that is cooked and if it lacks love and labor it will instantly show up. I hope you don’t want your near and dear ones feel like this has been done just in jiffy and out of sheer context. I have seen many times a simple stir/fry veggie recipe turns out more flavorful, if it has been cooked with care and love other than the luxurious crafted recipes one gets to eat in fancy restaurants. Can you imagine yourself eating restaurant food day in and day out, thrice a day over and over again.
I tell you even if you are tired and back from a hectic day from your work place or even if you are a home-maker who is running her life like Usain Bolt, or may be PT Usha at least, to all of you, if you happen to cook a simple Maggie with left-over veggies or with some eggs, that sounds more like a heaven.Agreed to that ? And I know you all do.
Imagine an evening with piping hot Maggie bowl and then you curling up your feet sitting on a sofa and then watching some funny cartoons with your kids. Or give them a thing which puts a smile on their face. These baked spicy chicken wings can be presented in many different ways to them; one way is right up here.A Wrap with veggies and shredded cheddar cheese , some slices of onions, mayo and some ketchup and of course there is baked spicy chicken wings.
Actually my daughter helped me in putting up these silly decorations. She corrected the nose with onion slices and mustache with shredded cheddar cheese. I guess it looks more like a chicken itself. What say?
And how do you like to spend evenings after a hectic day outside?
Now to the recipe of
Oven Baked Spicy Chicken Wings
- About 700-800 Gms of chicken wings (approx)
- ½ cup of yogurt
- 3 tsp of red pepper powder
- 1-2 tsp of black pepper powder (freshly grounded)
- 2-3 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of ginger powder
- 2-3 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 2 tsp of salt or as per taste
- ½ tsp of cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp of aamchur powder
- And about 1 tsp of garam masala
- Wash chicken wings very well and then pat them with kitchen towels to dry them up.
- Now prepare the marinade-
- In a big mixing bowl- add in dry powders of above listed spices- red pepper powder, black pepper powder, and garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander powder. Add cardamom, cinnamon and aamchur powder. Adjust it with salt.
- Now add in yogurt and mix very well. Add in 4 tsp of mustard oil to this marinade. Whisk very well to mix them up well.
- Now coat the marinade over chicken wings very well. Keep this in for at least 4-5 hrs in refrigerator and let them soak up the marinade well. I generally prefer skin on as this helps in retaining the moisture of baked chicken wings. However if you don’t like the skin, you can take it off.
- Line up a roasting tray with aluminum foil. Now neatly place each chicken wings piece.
- Preheat an oven at 175 deg C.Put the roasting tray in the middle rack and set the timer. Bake the chicken wings for 40-45 mints or till they have a nice brown coating. Meanwhile in between take them out and turn the sides and put them back again for roasting.
- Take it out when done. Serve with slices of lemon wedges and tartar sauce. Recipe of Tartar sauce can be found Here- along with pan fried spiced haddock sandwich.
- For kids I like to give them these baked chicken wings with some shredded cheese and mayonnaise and little decorations.
If it’s possible for you, then I would recommend using freshly grounded spices for excellent taste, however you still can use ready-made packets of spices available easily. Sometimes I also use ready-made branded spice packets like – Hot and spicy masala or chicken seasoning masala for this baked chicken wings recipe.You can use lemon juice in place of aamchur powder.
And please adjust hotness and spice level according to your taste buds.
Happy Cooking and have a lovely weekend everybody.