I don’t need to write about the benefits of green leafy-vegetables. So I will skip that part and also I don’t want to sound boring and rhetoric to you all. Cabbage with shrimps, now who doesn’t like shrimps except few of us, who have allergies. This is a very homely Bengali way of making cabbage with shrimps. People may have little variations to it, like some may use cumin seeds for tempering, some may not, and many will go on to add grounded ginger+ cumin as the base of the masala. Please use ingredients, whatever way you want to make.
This is how this recipe is made in our kitchen.
Chingri diye Bandhakopi – Cabbage with shrimp stir/fry recipe
- 1 whole cabbage – approx. 400gm
- De-veined shrimps- 300- 400 Gms
- 2-3 fat cloves of garlic
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 medium size tomato
For tempering and seasonings
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder (½ tsp of stir/fry and ½ tsp for rubbing on shrimps)
- 2 tsp of red pepper powder
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of salt or as per taste
- ¼ tsp of sugar
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp of panch phoron
- 5-6 tbs of mustard oil
- 2 tsp of ghee
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- Chop green cabbage finely.
- Clean, de-shell and devein Shrimps. Rub in shrimps with turmeric powder and salt.Keep aside.
- Heat up a fry pan, add 2 tbs of mustard oil, add in shrimps and stir/fry them for about 2-3 mints and take out in bowl.
- In that fry pan itself, add more mustard oil, temper it with panch phoron, dry red chillies.
- Now add in tomato and chopped garlic into it. Add in chopped onions.
- Keep on stir/fry for about 5-6 mints at medium high flame.
- Now add in turmeric powder, red pepper powder, coriander powder and salt.Add in sugar as well. Sprinkle little bit of water and keep on stir/fry.
- Add in chopped cabbage now. Mix cabbage very well with spices.
- Add in quarter cup of water.Cover and cook for 7-8 mints or till cabbage leaves are cooked through well.Add in fried shrimps now, stir/fry and mix with a spatula for another 3-4 mints.
- Add in ghee and garam masala at the end. Give a final mix.
- Take out and serve in a bowl.
You can add chopped potatoes and green peas as well.
Happy Cooking Friends