Tomorrow India celebrates it's Republic day and to all the Indians living and spread across the globe and in homeland also.Wish all of you a very happy Republic Day..Even we are far away from our home..we always carry a small portion of it wherever we travel or live in abroad..
I have felt a sense of discomfort whenever we come across people back home..you know oh! you live in abroad so obviously you lack "prem for your matrobhomi"..why ?
I have seen most insensitive people even living in India and having an unsympathetic feelings for their own country....It's just so easy to criticize the present norm there..but if you can bring on changes and is capable of doing it then take proper interest in doing so..and changes always start from your own home..Don't they? ..Treat your own ladies and children in home well first ..society automatically will get molded for better later on....
But come on not all NRI's are bad ...It's the fact ..take it or leave it ..up to you!! End of rant!!
Now to the Recipe
Another day and a new soup recipe for all of you.This time made the soup with baby spinach and mushrooms and of course pearl barley.This soup tends to fill you up and it's a great way to warm up your cold and rainy evenings which is what we have been seeing for the past few days or so.
Baby spinach mushroom and barley soup
- 1 large bowl of baby spinach
- 2-3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 tomato chopped finely
- ½ cup of barley
- 5-6 penne pasta
- 2 garlic pods
- half inch ginger
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of crushed black pepper
- Wash and chop tomato, mushroom, onion, tomato, garlic and ginger.
- Now fill in 4-5 large cups of water in pressure cooker.You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth as wel.
- Add in all the chopped vegetables except the baby spinach leaves.Add in barley and penne pasta.You may add some bread chunks in place of barley and penne pasta.Barley or penne pasta or bread chunks gives the thick and creamy look.A good alternative to cream or potato in soups making it even more healthy.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt, black pepper powder, cumin powder.
- Lock the lid and put on for one whistle.Lower the flame and let it cook for 4-5 mints.
- Open the lid once the pressure subsides.
- Take out and after cooling little bit , pulse half of the soup in a mixer.
- Now transfer this soup mixture in to the soup pot and add the baby spinach leaves.
- And let it simmer a little bit.This will make it smooth and thick making it even more filling.
Serve pipping hot with toasted bread or whatever way you prefer.
Sending this soup to Priya's Healthy Diet Event- Warm Soup at Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes...............
Happy Cooking Friends