Growing up years are filled with so many memories of vibrant colors like a rainbow. And like a vibrant rainbow, it keeps showing up after every spell of rain. And when you start exploring different shades, your thoughts keep you wandering in lanes and by-lanes of joyous past.Isn't ?
One such memory was to see my ma making cakes in her old Bajaj OTG which was small, round and made of metal, aluminum with a glass top may be. (These days OTG is now part of a microwave or a convectional oven.) She used to make sponge cakes with eggs and butter- sorry Amul butter. And then after my marriage, came my ma-in-law who never used OTG, but made light fluffy sponge cakes in pressure cooker. I have blogged about that recipe a slight variation for cupcakes which was back in year 2008, you can go and check it Here
All over these years I have slowly started baking myself routinely, driven by some passion obviously. These days I am making baked goodies even if there is no special occasion and whenever I feel like. My sister-in-law is vegetarian. So, she likes cakes but if its eggless cake. This time my ma made eggless cake and used whole milk instead of eggs. The basic guidelines I got from my ma about the cake over a phone couple of weeks ago and improvised it by adding different flavors/fruits to the basic cake recipe. I hope my sister-in-law tries this out someday and even better if I visit them, would make sure they taste this cake.
I am slowly discovering the benefits of eggless baking and with normal cooking oil instead of butter or shortening. This eggless pineapple upside down cake is a light cake.Calories are less in this cake as it’s made of corn oil and is eggless. Corn oil is a great alternative to butter or shortening so watch out, it is a hidden treasure for you that I am sharing with you.
Here is the picture taken in night, just right after I flipped the cake over the plate.
And here is the left-over cake after our morning breakfast. This eggless pineapple upside down cake recipe is a keeper recipe.
Eggless pineapple upside down cake
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk+2 tbs more
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ¾ tsp of baking soda
- 1 can of pineapple rounds
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of corn oil
- Preheat oven at 175 deg C.
- Prepare 9 inch round cake tin. Place one big round in the centre. And cut other 3 rounds in to half. Place them all around the central round circle of pineapple.
- Mix sugar and corn oil.
- Now add 2 rounds of pineapple all crushed.
- Mix in flour+baking powder+baking soda.
- Start mixing milk and flour mixture slowly with the sugar+oil+pineapple mixture.
- When the cake batter is all set and prepared. Transfer this to the baking pan. Smooth out the surface evenly.
- Bake the cake for about 40-45 mints at 175 deg C or till a skewer/toothpick come out clean when inserted in to the middle of cake.
- Now take out and let it cool. Flip the cake over a plate and it’s ready to be served with evening tea or as part of your morning breakfast menu.
- This cake recipe is made of corn oil. I do think in India sunflower oil is available; you can make cakes with sunflower oil as well. Sunflower oil is a great substitute for butter or shortening in cakes.
- If you like fresh pineapple, use it. I felt it was too much of a job cutting a pineapple so, I preferred canned/tinned pineapples.
Sending this to Kid's Delight - Eggless and Vegan Bake, event hosted at Priya's Easy N Tasty and originally started by Srivalli at Spicing Your Life
and also to Healthy Diet Events at Raji's Vegetarian Tastebuds,originally started by Priya's Easy N Tasty.
Happy Cooking Friends