There is a phrase very profoundly used in Lion King the animation film is “Circle of Life”. I know you all will be thinking .There she is, again going to start about dharma, karma and devotion. But if you carefully notice, we all are part of this “circle of life”. Each and every entity in this universe is part of this circle of life.
I had seen in my growing up years, my father and my uncles listening to Ventures - a rock band of 60’.You can catch up with this video for their performance.
No, I was not born then. Many of you won’t know what I am talking about but many songs of late 60’s and 70’s in Indian film movies had been inspired by these fellows especially the likes of Shammi Kapoor’s.
My Baba still has some of those old LP records. You know the kind of music one used to listen on records being played on turntables, well hmmm….The Cute and little Pup with the Gramophone logo “HMV” or was it EMI..Remember. There you all know, how I knew about a rock band from 60’s…These days Baba has neatly treasured those old LP’s in a box.
Well, then came our generation of music lovers ,with high dose of bass and guitar- Jon Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Guns N Roses and the likes of many similar stuff.An entire generation of youth growing on listening to these cassettes. LP’s had been replaced by cassettes in early 80’s I guess, as that is when they came to Indian markets.
These days my daughter listens to Justin Bieber mostly on youtube.Yeah I know something to do with genes.When music notes float in the air, one is bound to pick up some of it.It’s by default you see….But Justin Beiber, or is it Bieber..whatever .. ish! Well what can I say for that? Why do these kids grow so fast?
Recently we introduced her to some good old music by Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi.It’s not done purposefully but was more to do with the routine that we have. We were listening to some of the songs on YouTube as usual following or managing our daily chores. It was couple of months back, may be during her winter holidays .And there she was asking about these songs.
She has slowly started liking many of them since then.Although I would pretend not to admit about the lyrics part though.Somehow many of them are very intriguing, what she likes is the music.And she also moves on with likes and the beats of “Nelly Furtado” and “Celion Dion”.
But deep down she is hooked to what these two fellows sings-.Timon and Pumbaa.
And then again dancing on the old quintessential Bengali folk songs- Dhitank -Dhitank Bole.. and Boli O Nandi .Not to forget Ek Chidiya Anek Chidiya which is her favorite Hindi song for the time being.We often end up singing both the songs in chorus and loudly.One moment we really enjoy where I become a kid again like her.
One thing which brings us I mean three generations of our family together, if you have noticed is immense liking for good music and good food without any compromise.
So, as I would like to put a picture here the summary would be my father is fond of having cakes just like his granddaughter. And in between there is one more step of addition of ours (I mean me and DH's) fondness for music and good food. So the “circle of life” goes on like this…..
Now to the recipe for this post- a light and flavorful eggless cakes to brighten the atmosphere like a soft breeze.
As I said earlier in my last post that I have been baking lot of eggless cakes these days.
Here is another recipe for Apple Cake which I made in my initial blogging years..apparently the pictures were uploaded to photobucket, and I lost the pictures due to inactivity on photobucket.
I had some of the left-over blueberries. Yes, I love blueberries, love these tiny berry fruits...I had some gala apples also.And I had the basic eggless cake recipe by Ma also.So, started making this eggless apple cake.This time it was different as per choices of fruit is concerned and use of oil is concerned.Nutmeg powder and mixed spice powder is added to enhance the flavor of this apple cake.
Now to the recipe now
Eggless Apple and Blueberry Nutmeg cake
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- ¾ tsp of baking powder
- ¾ tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp of mixed spice powder
- 2 royal gala apples, cored, peeled and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup of blueberry
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of corn oil
- Preheat oven at 175 deg C.
- Prepare 9 inch round cake tin. Drop a little cooking oil and then layer the flour about 1 tsp by evenly tapping, shaking and tilting in the round cake pan.
- Mix sugar and corn oil in a big mixing bowl. Now add in cored, peeled and finely chopped apples. And also blueberries. If using frozen no need to thaw them.
- Mix in flour+baking powder+baking soda+nutmeg powder+mixed spice powder
- Start mixing milk and flour mixture slowly with the sugar+oil+apple mixture.
- When the cake batter is prepared. Transfer this to the baking pan. Smooth out the surface evenly by a knife dipped in water.
- Bake the cake for about 40-45 mints at 175 deg C or till a skewer/toothpick comes out clean when inserted in to the middle of cake.
- take out and leave it cool for about half an hour.Then flip the cake over a serving plate.Have it with evening tea or as Breakfast.
For the Icing
Mix in about 200 ml roughly or 1 cup of of double cream with 3 tbs of icing sugar till they become thick.Scoop out and spread the icing evenly over cake.If it has become too thick , then you can dilute it with whole milk.
I would say this cake is delicious even without the icing.
- Check for the oven settings. Every make of oven behaves differently. So the baking time may vary. I would say bake until the center of the cake is cooked well. Check with the help of toothpick. Never open the oven door frequently to check if the cake is done.
- While mixing the cake batter never beat vigorously, a gentle mix works well otherwise the cake will rise well in oven but after baked it will sink in the middle.
- This eggless cake is made with Corn oil , a healthy alternative to butter or shortening.
Happy Cooking Friends