-->

Monday, February 5, 2007

Lao Ghonto

Lao/Macher Matha Diye Torkari (Bottle gourd Fish Curry)




Life is a journey, one moment here and some times later somewhere else ..
We enjoyed our short stay in US and now living here in my motherland India is always a pleasure..Its something in the air , the warmth of people and love and care , what more you want in life .





I have taken a good short break from blogging , and I must tell that I have enjoyed this break a lot , spend a lot of time with my family , visiting friends and relatives , reliving my wonderful growing years .. now I am here in my birth place Allahabad visiting my parents home..My mom is an excellent cook(every mother is and always will be) and needless to say , she started making some of the relishing and delicious foods since I came here ..she has an avid interest in Kitchen gardening also ..with some good space to cultivate vegetables , her kitchen garden is a pleasure to watch and pluck some good fresh vegetables and make it as is …
So friends , from my mom’s kitchen to you ..serving you some of the authentic Bengali food …

Lauki /Lao belongs to family cucurbitacea and is also known as Bottle Gourd, contains Vit C and Vit B complex,Lauki is considered to be extremly Pitta pacifying, the skin is generally pale in green colour and the inner flesh is white in colour.Pick the young gourd for better result,discard the hard parts, while cutting the vegetable.Lauki is used in making Raita ( a yogurt based tangy Gravy) and many Subzi also.

Lao macher modo diye ghonto (Lao fish curry)



Lao Ghonto
Recipe requirements
1 Lao/Lauki
2 fish head , throughly washed
5-6 green chilly peppers(add less for less spice)
¼ tsp of turmeric powder (just go easy on this , to add colour only)
Salt as per taste
Oil for frying fish head

Method
1~ Heat a kadai/saucepan, add oil for frying fish head , release the fish head slowly in the oil and fry at low on each side for 5 mints or till the fish is fried brown .

2 ~While frying fish, head will swell slightly , at this time flip the side and fry again for 5 mints at low .the better fish head is fried , the better the Ghonto/curry will be .But be very careful while frying it , because its often splutter a lot ..
3 ~Now add finely chopped lauki/lao to the above , add turmeric powder , green chillies split in between and salt as per taste , stir it slightly , cover and cook for 10 mints at low .
4 ~After some 10-12 mints , check for the softness of lauki/lao and now with the help of spatula/Khunti/Palta , break the fish head into bite size pieces and again cover, cook for 5-7 mints at med –low .
5 ~For our vegetarian friends , you can add Badi/Boda in place of fish head .


Some of the good friends from blogging world visited here , thanks for coming by and stoping here .
Thank you Sia, Trupti, Sandeepa, Mandira, Sailaja, Soumya,Krithika,Asha,Lera,Sumitha,RP and every body ,pls forgive me if I have forgotten to write about you …but I have loved your encouraging words and remarks .
Thanks once again to everybody reading this and spending your precious time here ..
Some more recipes next time , Happy cooking ,Bon Appetite.

5 comments:

  1. Jaya- Great to see you blogging again. I hope your journey back was smooth and you are settling down to your new life. The lau is delicious, haath bariye khete icche hoechhe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I have missed your posts and your comments on my blog!!! glad to hear you're happy and enjoying life in India....take care!

    Hugs,Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mandira,
    We are still in settling phase,Lao OMG its delicious and trust me I missed these soo much in US.thanks for stoping by .
    hugs and smiles
    Jaya

    dear Trupti ,
    I have too missed coming to your lovely blog,thanks for your kind concerns and coming by here irrespective of no publishing ...
    hugs and smiles
    You both are wonderful ladies , i admire alot ...
    Jaya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know your enjoying Ma ka khana.:)
    Nothing to beat it!!!!

    And cooking with vegetables grown in your own backyard is wonderful... I have a kitchen garden too.

    Lauki and fish is a new combo to me. I'm sure delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fish head has been lying the freezer for quite sometime. Now I can make use of it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking out some time from your busy schedule to post here.Please Do not spam this space.