6 oz of soft butter or approx 175 g or ¾ cup of soft butter
A very simple vanilla sponge cake is spruced up with the addition of mango pulp and yogurt.I have re-worked the measurements to suit our taste buds and requirements.And also added mango pulp out of cans to enhance the flavor.
I have measured the ingredients as British ounces according to imperial sysytem.So, just thought of converting the measurements into grams and cups for readers convenience at other parts of the world .This Site is the reference point for all the conversions.
1 oz =28.3 g, or 1oz = 1/8 cup, 1 oz =2tbs and 1 tbs =3 tsp
Mango flavoured Sponge cake
(Adapted from Here)
Last time made these Mango Mousse using the pulp from these pre-packaged tin cans.This sponge cake goes very well with evening tea or coffee.And even if it's adapted version of Nigella Lawson recipe, you still know it would always turn out delicious.
(Adapted from Here)
6 oz of sugar or approx 175 g or ¾ cup of sugar
10 oz of sponge flour or approx 275 g or 1 ¼ cup of flour
½ tsp of baking soda
8 oz or 1 cup of plain yogurt
2-3 tsp of vanilla essence
3-4 tbs heaped tbs of mango pulp
- Take out butter, yogurt and egg at least half an hour before you make the cake. Believe me it does help in at the time of mixing.
- When butter is soft, measure it out and cream it with powdered sugar.
- Meanwhile separate egg whites from yolks. Beat in egg white to soft peaks. Similarly mix up the egg yolks well. Now add vanilla essence to the egg yolks.
- Slowly start mixing the egg whites, egg yolk and butter sugar mixture. Do not use up all at one go. Divide the mixing process in two-three turns.
- Now sift the sponge flour.TIP-If you do not get sponge flour or self rising flour use normal flour with little bit of baking powde- to a cup of all purpose flour add roughhly 1 and half tsp of baking powder and 1tsp of salt . And please try to use premium quality flour for sponge cakes, you will get excellent results.
- Add in baking soda.
- Now when all the egg mixture is used up, slowly add about ¼ cup of yogurt till you use up the entire quantity of yogurt.
- Now add the wet ingredients of -sugar+butter+egg mixture+yogurt mixture to the dry ingredient flour.
- Divide the cake batter into halves. To one half add mango pulp. I have used store brought mango pulp cans. You will notice batter color changes.
- Now prepare a baking pan generously with butter, scoop the cake batter without mango pulp first reserving some of it to be used up later to layer the cake.I have used square baking pan.You may use bundt tin for this cake also.
- After the first layer, it’s time to do the second layer of the cake batter-add in the batter with mango pulp. Spread it out evenly. Now add in the reserved plain batter for the top layer. You may even it out with a knife, even better if you dip the knife in water beforehand.
- You may add mango pulp to the whole batter for an even mango flavour sponge cake.
- Bake the sponge cake at 180 deg C or 350 deg F for 40-45 mints or till a toothpick/skewer comes out clean when inserted in between.OK, I do use sometimes a plain knife as well in case I don’t have a toothpick.
- Take out and cool it completely.Then flip it over a plate.Serve and enjoy.
- This cake is a great way of adding variations at your breakfast table too.